Rmr-86 Review

Name a homeowner’s arch nemesis. Pests? Sure. Hail? Maybe. Mold? Most definitely, yes. Once you have a mold problem, it can be tough to solve. Mold attaches itself to surfaces quickly, spreads even more rapidly, and its effects are far-reaching.

Mold on siding

Besides wreaking havoc on your respiratory system, it can leave stains behind. After you’ve removed mold itself, you’ll probably need something to handle the stain it left behind.

Rmr-86 promises to remove even hard to clean, set in mold stains, but can it deliver? There’s only one way to find out. Let’s break it all down in our Rmr-86 review.

What Is Rmr-86?

RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover (1 Gallon)Rmr-86 was created by disaster restoration specialists who wanted something to remove tough mold stains without killing your arm scrubbing. Mold stain removal frequently involves things like sand-blasting or wire brushing, which doesn’t sound very fun.

They thought there had to be a better, easier way. The formula for Rmr-86 is designed to lift the stain from a variety of surfaces without scrubbing. The stains disappear before your eyes (or so they claim), leaving you with a refreshed surface.

The formula is bleach based, so it kills the mold on contact and then lifts the stain. It works on 200 to 400 square feet per gallon provided you follow the directions correctly.

Where Can I Use It?

It’s safe for most surfaces though we always suggest doing a small spot test before you go spraying it all over.

The list of surfaces includes wood, concrete, tile, drywall, vinyl, siding, and just about any other surface in your house. It’s suitable for interior and exterior stains, provided you have proper ventilation.

Spray a small amount in an inconspicuous area and wait 24 hours. If there’s no damage or scarring to the surface, you can proceed with the rest of your operation.

How Long Does It Take?

The company claims it will remove stains in 15 seconds or fewer. In our experience, that proved true. The stain we tried didn’t stand much of a chance.

How Does It Work?

It uses an industrial grade bleach product to kill the mold and lift the stain. Sodium hypochlorite is very effective at cleaning.

Although it kills mold and removes stains, it’s not a mold inhibitor. It’s a bit like a nuclear option. You spray it on, and it blasts mold, but the mold is going to come back if you have a problem area. If you’re looking for a permanent solution to deal with your mold once and for all, this isn’t going to be the right product.

However, to clean problem areas such as boat decks or skylights, it will eliminate your problem in the short term without a lot of effort.

How Do I Use It?

It doesn’t need to be diluted or prepared. It comes in a spray bottle, so you just spray it on your problem area, wait a little bit, and wipe it off.

Although you don’t need to do anything to the product itself, you are going to have to prepare yourself and your space for using it. It’s highly toxic (you didn’t think you could get a no-scrub cleaning agent without that part, right?) so you’ll need gloves and other protective gear.

You’ll also need to be in a well-ventilated area because the fumes are a nightmare. If your mold is in an area that’s not well ventilated, you might need a different plan. Don’t put yourself at risk trying to get in and get out without inhaling the fumes. It won’t work.

You’ll also have to store the remainder somewhere safe once you’re done. Be sure to check on it often just in case the bottle leaks. It will eat through surfaces if left untended for too long.
RMR-86 Instant Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover

What Are The Benefits?

Mold stain removal can get really in depth. Sanding, going over the area with a wire brush, icing? None of that sounds like a fun weekend.

The benefit to Rmr-86 is that it works really fast. If you’re planning to paint soon, for example, you could clean off the stains, allow it to dry, and have a pristine surface to work on in a matter of hours.

The other upside is you don’t risk scratching your surface by using manual removal methods. Once you wipe the bleach off, it dries and doesn’t interact with your surface. You avoid scratches without leaving behind faint mold stains.

Bleach is also suitable for removing the smell of mold as well. You can always tell when an area suffers from mold, so treat the looks and the smell together if you want a total solution.

What Are The Downsides?

As we mentioned, this stuff is noxious. You practically need to wear a hazmat suit to use it. Don’t think you can spray it on and just walk away like you can with other household cleaners. This is industrial strength, and you take the risk accordingly.

If you forget to wipe it off or it puddles somewhere, it will literally eat through the surface. It’s that strong. You may not be comfortable storing it long term, so we recommend buying a smaller bottle and using it all at once. That way you don’t have to worry.

It’s sold to consumers, but it’s a commercial style product. This isn’t a casual cleaner either. You need to take a lot of precautions if you’re going to keep it in your house. It could prove to be too much of a hassle to keep it in your house long term. Plus, the shelf life once opened is only about six months.
RMR-86 Instant Mold Remover

So where do we stand? Here’s a quick look:

  • no scrubbing
  • dries quickly
  • works on a variety of household surfaces including interior and exterior ones
  • not a huge investment (a gallon size is less than $50)
  • removes mold odors as well as stains
  • suitable for prepping before repainting surfaces
  • not a long-term mold inhibitor
  • definitely not for casual cleaning
  • the smell makes us want to tear our eyes out, which makes it difficult to use in poorly ventilated areas
  • you need a lot of preparation beforehand (protective gear, storage solutions, test spots)

We recommend it for:

We recommend it for
  • anyone who has a stubborn mold spot that’s a total eyesore (boat owners, we’re looking at you.)
  • anyone who can’t (or won’t) manually remove mold stains
  • someone needing a quick solution to a mold issue before refinishing or repainting
We don’t recommend it for
  • anyone who won’t take its toxicity seriously
  • people needing a long-term solution for problem mold areas
  • homes without proper storage

Final Thoughts

If you’re willing to take the responsibility of storing a product like this, it will lift most tough mold stains with minimal effort. The major trade-off is the fumes and the acidity.

Make sure you take all the proper precautions before you attempt to use it (or even open it). Scrutinize the bottle for any leaks when you receive it. If you don’t use it all in one application, be sure to check on it regularly to make sure the bottle retains its integrity.

Otherwise, it’s definitely an option for those stubborn stains and odors. It’s not a casual cleaning solution, but it does work better than a lot of its commercial competitors. We’re happy consumers over here.

Where’s your major mold issue? Would you be able to use a product like this to clear stains and odors or will ventilation be a problem? Side note: did you see the dry ice mold removal method? Let us know in the comments below.

Review Date
Reviewed Item
Author Rating
Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: